Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Every Goddamn Vampire in this Goddamn Country of Mine

 Sometimes, you make it to see if you can do it. 

I wanted to make a generator that would show you the vampire society of a given city with a single click. But in order to do that, I needed to know how many vampires to put in it. The VtM revised rulebook provides a rule of thumb (that it almost always ignores) saying a densely population area should have one vampire for every 100,000 people in a community. But vampires aren't lone wanderers. They're organized in coteries of a size that the book is cagey about telling. A few levels of investigation in, I found myself searching out the metro population of the United States in 1990 to facilitate this growing project. I was no longer trying to generate a city. I was trying to generate every city in the US. I ran the generator once and came up with a vampire census 100 pages long

After all this research and heartache, I've decided there's no easy answer to how many coteries there should be in a city, but there's a fair answer. The answer is, if the average coterie has a little more than five members, "about seven." That's on par with Dallas and Miami, and it should be plenty of characters. It means there's bigger and smaller kindred communities, and it's about as many groups as an engaged player can be expected to remember at once. Go with seven.

Therefore, that's the number I've tuned my city generator to. Use it five times to get a metro area roughly equal to New York City, twice to get one roughly equal to Chicago. Each press of the button will show seven coteries, identifying each vampire by their (bolded) nature and some interesting facts about them. If they're part of a clan coterie, that's the clan they belong to. If they're part of another kind of coterie, it will be specified.

To damn the world, I've also included the America generator, but I warn you it will make a long result. If you want an example, I've put it in a (hunded page) google doc.






2 comments:

  1. Wowza that generator is LORGE. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this format! Remarkably efficient but results in some evocative stuff!

    ReplyDelete