Sunday, August 23, 2026

Appendix A2 Generator⚙️

 Playing around with the Appendix A generator I made a while ago, as well as the dungeon generator I made for my Endless Eon, I notice that each does some of the work for you, but asks different things. Obviously neither can replace the vital creative element the DM provides, but the Appendix A generator wants you to place each room, like a tile, one by one to create a dungeon mosaic, before reasoning out connections and adding color. It's randomness will not give a perfect distribution of monsters/treasures/special rooms/exc., and so you'll replace rooms more often. It loves hallways. The Eon table has a more standardized distribution, and it establishes connections between sectors, but I found that making those connections actually took a lot of thinking as I was laying out. The monsters it came up with were also too generic, with no spark or spice.

This generator tries to get the best of both to my mind, numbering and lightly keying a dungeon, even including a couple simple factions. It mostly doesn't provide distance measurements, preferring for you to judge that as you're laying the dungeon out. It is all basically one floor, and you can roll again for a second floor. No real attention is paid to balancing encounters.

Special thanks to Louis and Locheil for their monster generator and to Dungeon Scrawler for their dungeon room index and to Ktrey for his fantastic list of smells and to Spwack for his great list-to-html generator.
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment